Alto Valle de Rio Negro

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Verum, Merlot 2009, It´s got the Patagonian backbone but lacking the needed fruitiness


Verum, merlot 2009, Bodega Del Rio Elorza, USD 8

A red from Fernadez Oro in Rio Negro. Round and even but lacking some fruit expression though. Red sour and cooked cherries with dark cooked quince too. Strong alcohol and nice acidity typical of Rio Negro `Alto Valle´. I would expect more fruitiness to make it more attractive and balanced (this may be dissagreed upon but most people will probably not) . It lacks good care and maturity to bring much more beauty.An 84 points merlot and one step behind a good Patagonian value.

1 comment:

  1. Reaching the 3rd day opened and the wine got bigger and nicer. Sweeter and more polished than zero time from opening. Now I´d say It stepped up 2 points easily to 86 points. This evolution with open free oxigen is not unusual for a Patagonian red with strong and deep tannins. Today this merlot is a beauty great value for 8 bucks. I wound´t tell this if not tasted today and cross my heart my wife and I emptyed the bottle out.

    ReplyDelete