Alto Valle de Rio Negro

Sunday, July 4, 2010



(BLIND TASTING)

Andeluna Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2004, USD 18
Superbious Cab from Uco´s Valley Mendoza.This red pops up a wide palette of black fruit mostly and beautifully balanced with green peppers and black spicy pepper. Broad palate and complete:early,middle and end. Aftertaste no very long (if it were so I ´d say a perfect wine). Moderated oaky stuff like choco and smoke with hint of vanilla. Mostly a balanced and attractive red with small oak support. It cound´t get any better for my palate, but foresee a twist of complexity in a few years coming. Andeluna´s reserve got there maximun after 4 to 6 yrs and keep maturing in complexity even up to 7-8 yrs (as far as I followed the line my self). I´say 92 point Cab with unbeatable price.

El Albar, Toro DOC 2001, F.Lurton, from Spain; Not meant to describe. Just say an old fashion wine strong and oxidated with nice style. It went 88 points (USD 35) with acceptable value for a style. Totally different style.

D.V. Catena,Malbec Adrianna Vineyard 2003, USD 69
Very good malbec from Tupungato, Mendoza
Nice bordeaux and violet sparkles ( this lilac or purple is typical of young malbecs and kind of strange for a 2003 malbec) Nice aromas of ripe fresh plum and jammy mince and small red fruits. Good oak envelope mostly chocolate and smoke and a hint of vanilla. Broad wine and lasting. I feel it not very alive. I´ll go 89 points for a not very good value.

Mainqué, Merlot 2007, USD 30
A singular merlot from Rio Negro´s Valley Northpatagonia (where I live in)
Must say this merlot´s aromas are not very expressive, kind of not vivid neither brightfull as I´d expect from a merlot. Intriguing dark fruit with nice spice moderate.Good and soft oak envelope. Strong backbone acid makes it difficult to me to enyoy.May be more cellaring (?) I´d say a 86 points red overpriced. Some palates will find more attractive than I do.

1 comment:

  1. Andeluna Cab Sau 2004 was tasted en March 2010 payed different prices and bought at a different places. This time was also blind. Both tasting gave an excelent wine.

    ReplyDelete